[openbeos] Re: compact flash

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:13:30 -0500

On 2004-11-18 at 14:37:43 [-0500], Mikael Jansson (mailing lists) wrote:
> "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > "Mikael Jansson (mailing lists)"
> > <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > What I'd like to be able to do is to just boot off the CF  (for low boot
> > > -times),
> >
> > Aren't most real disks faster than CF?
> > (except in seek time)
> >
> Isn't seeking what's usually limiting you when booting?

I have booted from a CF card, too. I did some re-arranging of Be's boot script
to make it faster. I eventually got boot time to 9 seconds (after-Post to
Tracker). There are some sleep calls in the script that CF users can get rid
of.

> > > but then hand over everything to a regular IDE disk; swap, home, and
> > > other things that regularly change. Having frequently-changing data on a
> > > CF will kill it pretty fast with its limited write cycles.

Yeah - my goal was a read only volume. Actually, I disabled VM on that
particular install. Memory is cheap. ;-D

> > There's always ramdisk, NFS, etc.
> >
> Yeah, but not when you boot. :) Sure, if you had some kind of static RAM that
> kept its contents through reboot, but seeing that's not available... :)

I keep thinking back to my Amiga days - a ROM with our kernel and app_server...
:-)