[openbeos] Re: clean makehdimage

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:06:47 +0200

On 2005-08-30 at 17:22:48 [+0200], Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > - The Media add-ons build failed, because they tried to link against
> > yet
> > non existing stuff. Changing into the src/addons/media folder and
> > jamming
> > there fixed the problem.
> >
> > - The test/add-ons/kernel/file_systems/fs_shell and bfs did not
> > build.
> > Changing into the respective folders and jamming there fixed the
> > problem.
>
> Now that I think about it, could it be that Jam hits a BeOS limit?
> Specifically, the open FD limit?

From what I've seen it shouldn't. The only files opened are Jamfiles and
source/header files while header file scanning. From the first category
only as many as recursively included should be open at a time and the
header scanning is done sequentially. Searching for targets in directories
is also done sequentially. So, unless there's an FD leak, the FD usage
should well fall within the limit.

> That would make a very simple
> explanation for this misbehaviour, and would be simple to fix as well.

Definitely an interesting idea. I'll look into it when tackling the build
system.

[...]
> > I think the build gurus among us should try and fix those "out of the
> > box"
> > compile problems, or new developers might be alienated.
>
> Indeed. Just like the full build under Linux :-)

Yep, will do that. For sake of small turnaround times I intend to do as
much as possible of the build system restructuring under Linux.

CU, Ingo