[openbeos] Re: build/mirror/torrent host

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:16:56 +0200

On 2007-06-21 at 11:45:28 [+0200], Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I need to choose the right OS for a dedicated rack server
> that I'm being lent for Haiku purposes, with free hosting.

Nice.

> I'm leaning towards using FreeBSD 6.2.
> Are FreeBSD and Linux equally good Haiku build hosts?

Under Linux the build system can use xattr support to store file
attributes. Under other BeOS incompatible platforms it is restricted to the
generic attribute emulation (using separate files), which might be a little
slower (didn't measure it) and also requires you to clean up the
generated/attributes directory from time to time. If you're only doing full
builds that doesn't matter at all, since you would delete the
generated/{attributes,objects,tmp} directories before a build anyway.

Furthermore under Linux the bfs_shell and makebootable support direct
installation on a partition, but that is probably not that interesting on a
server.

Other than those I'm not aware of any significant differences. I don't have
a FreeBSD system myself, though.

CU, Ingo