[openbeos] Re: bounties for the new website...

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <haikubounties@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:10:46 -0400

Let's concentrate on the masses first. Haiku will probably sit along side an existing Windows installation, or most people will have their data backed up on to a Fat 16/32 or NTFS formatted drive. They'll want access to that data. It's only probably <5% of the market that are interested in Reiser, ZFS or Ext2/3.

With regards to WiFi, the idea for a Haiku NDIS wrapper sounds most logical for Haiku in the short term; to me anyways, since the idea is to attract people to Haiku. If there's no networking in the OS, it's probably pretty useless to most people, and therefore better to have support than not have it.

From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [openbeos] Re: bounties for the new website...
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 18:10:01 +0200

On 2006-08-30 at 15:21:41 [+0200], Fredrik Ekdahl <fekdahl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here are some suggestions for bounties:
>
> File system drivers for (one bounty per file system of course)
[....]
> ReiserFS (one seems to already be written,
> http://www.bebits.com/app/3214,
> could that be added to svn?)

This one supports version ReiserFS version 3(.5/6), which is pretty much
out-dated by now, and it is read-only. We probably want to port the current
version 4 directly from the Linux sources.

Why not port ZFS? :)) There is even a little manual on porting ZFS.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald

_________________________________________________________________ Get MSN Messenger on your cell phone. http://connectinstyle.com/