[haiku] Re: booting with bochs?

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 21:19:26 +0200

Am 24/10/2015 um 16:33 schrieb g4@xxxxxxxxxxx:

I’ve successfully built various images on Linux (Mint) with the gcc4
tools. I’m now trying to boot the image in Bochs. The instructions here
(https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/virtualizing/bochs) almost work but
Bochs complains about the disk geometry being incorrect. 2 questions
arising if I may:

The first question that comes to mind is: does it have to be Bochs?
It's really a bit on the antique side of things, even if it was probably the first emulator to run Haiku (that's how old we are) :-)

2. Irrespective of the above does anyone know which part of the jam
scripts generates the image? Presumably it can be tweaked to create
something a bit more digestible for Bochs?

Since package management, this has become a bit complicated. Haiku is now built mostly of packages. The packages are defined in build/jam/packages.
Then there are different image types that are defined in build/jam/images. There is a "definitions" directory that select the files of the Haiku package depending on some profiles (regular, minimum, bootstrap).

You might want to try to build a bootstrap or minimum image, and boot that one (eg. jam @minimum-raw).

Bye,
Axel.