[openbeos] Re: binary compatibility

  • From: Erik Jakowatz <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:08:55 -0700

Achieving binary compatibility to the point where we can drop in, say,
the app_server and have it work with the rest of R5 may not be
workable.  At the end of the day though, only the public interfaces have
to be binary compatible for existing apps to work.  And that's not
terribly difficult to do:  preserve the vtables and object sizes, make
the backend functionally compatible, and you're basically there.  In
order for source compatibility to be worth anything, we *have* to be
functionally compatible anyway -- and binary compatibility in the public
interface is, relatively speaking, easy.