[openbeos] Re: binary compat [was Re: Re: BFS and encryption.]

  • From: David Sowsy <dsowsy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:06:21 -0500 (EST)

> whoah Marcus, calm down, stop seeing conspiracys everywhere.
> im not trying to start a flame war, and im sure neither is helmar.

What's wrong with this picture. I'm the one known for flying
off the handle, and here I actually had a bit of restraint.
I must be getting old.

> there have been a few compelling reasons for breaking binary
Compelling...no.

> compatibility mentioned back when R5 was still being worked on be
> be,inc (gcc 3.0, better kernel virtual memory , performance issues,
> etc), so it might not be a bad idea to consider doing so if there are
> compelling reasons for us to do so.  yes, it would be a good thing to
> keep compatability if possible, but it should not be so sacred that we
> get into the mess of trying to keep compat with a 20 year old os. ;)

We're not trying to keep compatibility with a 20 year old, us, but
to just run out and immediately break binary compatibility is foolish.
A 6 mos. (minimum) to a one or two year window to 'Phase out'
compatibility is more appropriate.

> Be,inc completly broke binary compat once, and there were minor breaks
> each release.

I'd like to avoid breaks, minor or major in any release.If functionality
deprecates it, phase it out, don't break things.

> second, helmar is on our side.  OBOS and beunited both want the same
> thing.  do you think linus gets this worried when the ceo of red hat
> makes a suggestion?

I'm going to stay out of the politics on this one.
I Know Better (tm).

Best Regards,
                David

David Sowsy    .    /|\  BeOS Rebel and Coder   .  *  .
http://dsowsy.nanorevolution.com   .   *   .   *   .  .