[openbeos] Re: beos booting from harddisk

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:05:14 +0200 CEST

marius <anarcap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There was a posting on the Haiku homepage a while back that (IIRC)
> the
> OS was booting off ISA-IDE drives and that they're working hard on
> PCI-IDE support.

We have only theoretical PCI IDE support right now. The automatic
hardware <-> driver detection has not yet been implemented completely,
and the IDE driver detection is currently hard-coded to ISA IDE (for
usage with Bochs).
Unfortunately, due to other bugs, we can only boot in emulators right
now (Bochs, Qemu etc. should work), anyway.

> Unfortunately I can't access http://haiku-os.org right now and send
> you the direct link to the article. Either the site is down or my ISP
> is yet again having DNS issues.

The site is easily accessible from here.

Philipp wrote:
> > some time ago i read somewhere about haiku being close to booting
> > from
> > harddisk.
> > does this already work?

In emulators such as Bochs yes, it does. But the build system still
doesn't take this into account, so it's a bit hard to create the disk
image.

> > is it possible to run simple commandline applications which use
> > libc?

Yes.

Bye,
   Axel.