[openbeos] being the best or being mediocre

  • From: Fred K Ollinger <follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:21:35 -0400 (EDT)

This is an interesting philosophical point that I see brought up over and
over again.

Seems like now adays it's better to be mediocre rather than the best so
you are like "everyone else".

I see this happening in obos, too.

The main thing I loved about beos is it said, damn the old ways, we are
going to be the best. Now I see, this thing about aping MS, and trying to
only do what "90% of home users" would want. 90% of home users don't know
that obos exists. If you talked about it to them 90% of them wouldn't
care, in fact 90% of them would think that you were in need of some help.

The point is that 90% of the world is not your friend, they don't love
you, and they are an insufficient reason for not being your best at all
times.

I don't hear Jordan saying, "yea, I missed that shot b/c 90% of people
watching at home would have missed it, too." :)

best,

Fred Ollinger (follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
CCN sysadmin