[haiku] Re: another idea from me, sorry if it is foolish: a port of kodi would add netflix support

  • From: Dick <dick@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 22:20:12 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018, Steven Perszyk wrote:

I'd say the nature of Haiku would be such that a new, Haiku specific
program(s) with the same (better) functionality kodi provides would be more in-line with this philosophy. Honestly, who on here thinks it'd be worthwhile to port a bunch of Linux programs, along with their many problems? I swear they oughta change the project name from Haiku to Not Another Linux Port.

I guess native programs would work more smoothly, but is is already done before. Libreoffice is included in beta1, so the devs decided it was ok to include an existing office suite instead of a native haiku office suite. I guess haiku will finally support things liek youtube and netflix smoothly. But the big difference is: maybe it will finally support al these things in 5-10 years. So to make this os interesting for the majority of computer users it might be interesting to select some apps that can fill the gaps as long as no native app is available. I hink it is best to select apps that can give much functions. So porting kodi instead of just a media player would bring support for much tvshows/movies. youtube, netflix and probably more i forget now. as long as webpositive is not abel to handle all media smoothly it could be configured to lik o kodi to handle the tasks not fuly implemented yet until they are at the same level or even better than what kodi has to offer.
Libreoffice was included in beta1 to gain public attention, a new os with even a famous office suite working out of the box. If porting kofi is not a hell of a job it might gain even more positive feedback when kodi(bringing netflix/youtube support to haiku) is included in beta2.
Best regards, Dick