[openbeos] Zoom and Resize

  • From: Ben <tuor_beleg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 18:34:34 -0500

I know this will probably start some debate, but as I was looking through I
noticed people (I can't remember) commenting that the window borders would
resize the window.

Having both Windows and Mac experience, I have come up with one problem that
is almost impossible to solve in windows... when a window defaults to
opening with it's title bar offscrean. This happens if you switch monitor
resolutions, and some other oddball reasons.

On classic MacOS, you can just grab the edge and drag the window back
onscreen, I don't know how to fix it in Windows if you can't change your
resolution for some reason (Like corrupt monitor driver, already at max
resolution)

It could possibly be a toggle preference with a hotkey combination to switch
to the other behavior, like control-dragging in windows when you want to
actually move the application rather than make 500 aliases all over your
harddrive (<rant> The only reason for this behavior is possibly because FAT
is so dumb that when you move something it can't remember where it is now
</rant>).

OTOH, I do completely agree with keeping the interface as close to R5 as
possible. There will be minor changes as things we all love to hate are
remedied, and we borrow some more good ideas from other OS's. (Please, no
jelly-bean buttons, though!)

Some things, like skinning, could maybe be implemented as "hooks" in the
software; applications would be required to fit specifications to work right
under skins (Good apps usually do anyway) and could be provided with a
function call to force the use of a default skin for certain reasons such as
built in skins that depend on the exact window format. But it would take a
third party app, or a utility app not installed by default, to actually do
the skinning.

I think hooks could be an important compromise between the default/customize
schools of thought. Those that want it can build apps. Just an idea.

Ok, now discuss...

-B. Madore