[haiku] Re: Would anyone like to see Tave Imagination open source?

  • From: DarkWyrm <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:23:37 -0400

I don't remember using Tave before, so it may actually be much better
than any BeOS image editor at the time I started WonderBrush. Is the
interest in Tave because WonderBrush lacks some important features?
Or is it because WonderBrush is closed source? I wonder if there
would be any interest in collaborating on an open source version of
WonderBrush. From time to time I work on a new, written from scratch
version. I don't believe it makes much sense to open source the
current version of WonderBrush because the code isn't so nice by more
experienced standards.

Best regards, -Stephan
I remember getting in touch with you shortly after Wonderbrush's release and how impressed I was with your attention to detail and usability. Some things never change, thankfully. :) WonderBrush is a nice app and a great example of why I consider you a top-notch coder.

My first BeOS project ever was BePhotoMagic. Looking back, I can definitely tell that it was my first -- I had no clue about good code architecture practices and the code was (and still is) a mess. One research project that I started but was never technically skilled enough to bring to fruition was a total rewrite of the app which had the flexibility be able to edit really large images like Photoshop and the Gimp can and had an interface similar to what I'm used to (Photoshop 5-7) but with some improvements, amongst other things. Something that goes in a different direction than WonderBrush does. That's all. :)

--DW