[haiku] Re: Would anyone like to see Tave Imagination open source?

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:59:31 +0200

Hi,

[Open sourceing Tave image editor]

Von: DarkWyrm <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxx>
> Count me in as someone who is *definitely* interested

This expression of interest in working on an image editor has got me curious
because of my experience with open sourceing Clockwerk. In my opinion,
Clockwerk is quite an interesting audio/video compositing application, with
which one can actually get some work done right now. In another words, it could
be considered promising with lots of opportunities for improvements. Yet I have
seen disappointingly little interest in it. There was one patch which fixed a
bug and another patch which added a keyboard shortcut to a menu entry. And
that's within an entire year of it being open source.

This is indeed one reason why I never bothered to think harder about open
sourceing WonderBrush. I started WonderBrush because virtually all BeOS image
editors sucked at what I'd consider some pretty basic things. None handled
transparency correctly in filters, none would handle sub-pixel precise brush
placement, and a bunch of other stuff that made them unusable for me to
actually get anything done more advanced than (bitmap) icon editing. (For which
ArtPaint was the most reliable option at the time. Incedentally it's another
open source image editor which is out there since forever with no substantial
interest in it...)

I don't remember using Tave before, so it may actually be much better than any
BeOS image editor at the time I started WonderBrush. Is the interest in Tave
because WonderBrush lacks some important features? Or is it because WonderBrush
is closed source? I wonder if there would be any interest in collaborating on
an open source version of WonderBrush. From time to time I work on a new,
written from scratch version. I don't believe it makes much sense to open
source the current version of WonderBrush because the code isn't so nice by
more experienced standards.

Best regards,
-Stephan