[haiku] Re: WorkGroups [WAS] Re: Interesting user interface.

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:36:21 -0700 (PDT)

-- zuMi, on Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:53:34 +0000:
> Actually I don't mean to have something like this, but if the deskbar
> could
> manage custom groups beyond the current implementation by
> "application" the
> user can set as visible a group of windows at once with a simple
> click onto
> it, still using workspaces to take applications apart, if you haven't
> caught
> the concept with these messy words this is an example: (image not
> included)

While personally, I'm content for the moment with what workspaces offer
I'd have another suggestion, to gain this kind of functionality.

It's another application of session management.
Say, we'd have a Session preference panel that will save all currently
running applications and their workspaces, you give it a name,
description and icon. You can also set a boot flag, which will start
that one session on boot-up.

Under Deskbar's tray could be an optional session tray with the
sessions icons (+bubblehelp with the session name and a list of therein
running apps). Clicking on a symbol will switch sessions, i.e. apps and
workspaces. A right-click menu could offer options like "Add current
apps" to add applications you've started besides what's already done by
the session. And "Update session" to take all currently running apps as
the new session, i.e. you may have started other apps or closed ones
started by the session.
The Deskbar only shows the running apps of the current session.

Gruß,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de