[haiku] Re: Willing to work for your project.(George)

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:00:47 +0100

Hi George,

Thanks for your interest on Haiku's GSoC 2011 projects.

> I have worked for two platform for two companies, before I was
> involved in the current PhD program, one is a large scale router
> platform, called VRP, another one is the platform for a DSLAM.  Both
> of them are developed by C programming language.
>
> I've participated in the development of PPPOA, and PPPOE modules of
> that router platform, this is why I choose the PPP implementation
> idea.

Haiku used to have a working PPP stack some years ago, but due to a
major (and welcome) network stack redesign, it doesn't compile anymore
and was not ported to new API since. One thing to keep in mind for
this project is that Haiku network stack is not plain C but "kernel"
C++, including the previous PPP code, and only the public interface
between modules are C ones. So you must be skilled enough in C++
(included templates), not only C.
Your experience with PPPoA and PPPoE is definitively a plus ;-)

You'll find the current network stack code here:

http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/network
http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/headers/private/net
(internal headers)

The broken/not-yet-ported PPP sub-stack is here:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/network/ppp

> Moreover, I didn't find the mentors for the project ideas, can anybody
> tell me who will mentor these two projects? Maybe I can exchange some
> emails with them for the further details. Really Appreciate it!

AFAICT, mentors are not yet assigned per project and as we want to use
a "mentors pool" approach more than previous years, the official
mentors per project will be decided a bit later.

But in this particular topic, being the one who recently try to work
at porting former dialup device code to new network stack API (see
http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/network/devices/dialup),
feel free to contact me to discuss in more details.
Oh, yes, I'm in the mentors pool :-)

Ideally, the haiku-development mailing-list is a better place to talk
about development topic and we see no reason to not doing this
publicly, even for applicants questions.

> Now I am trying the setup the basic development environment in my own
> laptop, and will start to work on some patch soon.

It may not be obvious, but please don't use our last "official"
r1/alpha2 release as your development target.
Since this release, a lot of things were changed in Haiku, both on
content *and* build system.
Please use instead some recent nightly releases. Another official
release, dubbed r1/alpha3 is scheduled before GSoC starts, so in every
case the target will be more recent thant r1/alpha2.

Don't forget that the code of any Haiku's GSoC projects should build
and run well with both gcc2 and gcc4 ABI,
so use a gcc hybrid build and get used to build your component for both.
Read on our web site how to build Haiku (or part of it) for gcc2 or gcc4.

Bye,
  Philippe.