[haiku] Re: Why the MMU?

  • From: Bruno van Dooren <bruno_van_dooren@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:57:17 +0100

It's been ages since I posted here, but this is one I can actually answer.
uL can run without MMU because it was designed to cope without one.
But this comes at the price of ... having to design to cope without one, plus a
performance overhead to do what the MMU otherwise would do for you. Plus
additional kernel complexity.

Since every decent PC of the last decade has an MMU, it would be pointless to
do this. A cost without benefit.

Lack of an MMU is only a possibility (I think) for resource limited embedded
devices, which is not the target platform of Haiku / BeOS. Of course I could be
horribly wrong here, but I think this is why.

Kind regards,
    Bruno.> Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:44:47 +0000> From:
andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx> To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [haiku] Why the
MMU?> > Hi,> > The list has been slow so I thought I would post this kind of
generic> question that I have been thinking about recently. I know from past>
conversations and text that Haiku and BeOS require an MMU...> > ..but I don't
know WHY Haiku and BeOS require and MMU :)> > How come uLinux manages to run on
devices without an MMU? Could Haiku> ever run using the same technique?> > -- >
Thanks,> > Andrew McCall> andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx>
Jouw nieuws en entertainment, vind je op MSN.nl!
http://nl.msn.com/