[haiku] Re: Why the MMU?

  • From: Nicholas Blachford <nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:23:11 +0000

From: "Ari Haviv" <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [haiku] Re: Why the MMU?

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Have they ever made a 32 bit CPU without an MMU in the last 30 years? Even if such an exotic beast existed, would it be worthwile complicating the kernel to support such exotic hardware? I always thought that Haiku's primary target was desktop PC's with modern hardware, not exotic embedded
devices.

Cheers.

well, there is the Natami project to build a new Amiga (http://www.natami.net/ )
They had quite a discussion on mmu (they don't like it):
http://www.natami.net/knowledge.php?b=4&note=116&order=&x=0

Wow, Deja vu. I had a remarkably similar discussion with one of them, I even remember offering up an idea around the problem but he was dead set against the mere idea of any memory protection.

Some rather disturbingly odd ideas about how computers work in there. Some funny ones as well though: Gunnar using DMA on Cell in an argument against memory protection, evidently unaware DMA in Cell goes through an MMU - all the SPEs have one.

To be fair though, if they do their own CPU adding an MMU will be a big task so I understand the decision in that respect.

--

Nicholas Blachford
nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx