[openbeos] Re: Why OpenBeOS Applications?

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 19:25:28 -0500

>>OBOS is only guaranteed to be source compatiable.
>>
>>I think that the chances are less than 10% of us getting binary
>>compatability in R1 of OpenBeOS. Maybe we will eventually in OBOS R4
>or
>>5, but don't hold your breath :)
>
>I think we have about a 90% chance of being binary compatible with R5.
>It's what we're shooting for and I'm increasingly convinced we'll do
>it.
>
>However, only R1 is concerned with BC. OBOS R2 is guaranteed NOT to be
>BC compatible, let alone R3, R4...

I am not sure that this is even true. I don't want to promise that R2 WILL NOT
BE
backward compatible until we show that it won't be.

Let's take a very hypothetical case -
we rename all of the libraries (like Nathan wants to do). What if we left all
of the
R1 libs around? So long as we invent new server hooks for new functionality,
maybe
R2 would allow R1 apps to work.

I WILL NOT guarentee that R2 should run R1/R5 apps. But I don't think that we
should
rule it out, either, until we have a good reason to break that compatability.
:-)

But, as usual, R2 discussions >> GE.