[openbeos] Re: Why I am against distributions.

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:56:04 +0200 (MEST)

En réponse à Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

[snip

> Sounds like the BeOS support of MIME types/file type sniffing.

Yup :)

> >  - available apps make known the operations they provide on data
>
> Currently the only understood operation is "open", but in principle,
> this
> is supported.
>
> >  - the OS can query a central location
>
> The MIME database.
Right

> This sounds really like what already exists in BeOS and will, of course
>
> exist in OBOS.
>
> For those not familar with the API, BMimeType::Get/SetPreferredAppl()
> support a second parameter: app_verb. Currently only the very general
> B_OPEN is known, but it shouldn't be a huge problem to add things like
>
> B_VIEW or B_EDIT. Then "open" would be the default action, used e.g.
> when
> double-clicking an entry in the Tracker, whereas the others would be
> available via the context menu.

That sounds great, didn't even know about this (one should always read the
BeBook entirely ;)

This would add nice handling of features such as found in Windows (Edit,
compress maybe... but without the bad side... I currently have 3 "Compress"
entries, and 3 "Add to .yyy" on this PC
(one for WinZip, one for WinRAR and one for WinAce) + one "Compress and mail"
which is really silly)