[openbeos] Re: Why I am against distributions.

  • From: Ted Leeuwesteijn <thirdrock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:01:03 +0200

Hello Sami Cokar you emitted about [openbeos] Re: Why I am against
distributions.

Goes for me too, This may be a long read but it's just to support a good
distribution of the OS and might be worth to read.

As a 'former' BeOS oem dealer i like to say a few words too about this, now
you all have said wise words about it. I may cover some issues twice here but
it's just to make some things clear.

I agree with David when he states that the Obos ppl are for the basic OS part
AND a basic install tool for at least the OS and core elements, now for other
purposes like applications well that's something that may be taken care of by
distributors.
Still the Obos or rather ever the BU ppl can set guidelines for hopw to set
it up so that all distributions work the same way wether they are localized
or not.
I for one like to bring out a localized one for my country too BUT i never
will change something to the core distribution Because it's simply to
overcome the problems what now is with linux distro's and libs et all other
tools you need to get some apps working.

What the OBOS ppl need to decide is how  the base OS lay out will look and
set some rules to prevent the users bugging them about changed distributions.
Also the organizations that are distributing a particulair set of tools with
that core OS are responsible for giving support about that not the OBOS ppl.
they in turn can turn to the obos ppl for the OS core off course.
The users also need to be aware of the fact which parts are what.
so basicly you need a update tool for the OS itself and either that update
tool must be adaptable for also distributing updates on applications or a
other tool next to it which ONLY updates the 3rd party add ons.

Just as a example not a guide Take the windows update for instance, it
updates the tools and stuff for the OS and the accompanied apps.

Now what the OBOS ppl need to integrate IMHO is a good document browser a la
Net+, that is compatible with the standard html 4.xx specs so that those
same(maybe updated) docs can be browsed on the web. It doesn't have to be a
full featured browser. We have always mozilla now which is almost there where
it needs to be. Just be compatible with Mozilla.

The need of a full featured browser is not the responsability for the OS
creators. Compability with such a browser IS a must however.

A text editor with basic skills like stylededit is now just for the fact to
edit files manually. And NOT a full featured (like abiword or any other) text
editor or office suite.(translators for importing docs is another matter off
course).

A ftp server/deamon with multiuser capabilities but not nececairy used by the
tool that the obos ppl distribute. Make it optional in the setup too so that
users can decide for themselves how to set up the box, stand allone,
multiuser, server etc..... but the tool need the capabilities to do this  'on
the fly'.

A basic http server like poorman was, maybe a bit more featured  with at
least cgi support with the same options as the ftp(D) above.

A basic mailclient/server like the MDR now is. also with OPTIONS to make it
multiuser but not nececairely enabled. With also the same options as the
ftp(d)

A basic developer suite or IDE tool.(optional to install IF the user needs
it)
A good processcontroller/debug tool, (obos)update ticker, ntp, desktop
manager(screen prefs layout, Icon tool, background tool and font manager
prefferably intergrated in one with tabview), basic media player(video and
audio able to access any media) and prefs, picture viewer, Magnifier(for less
able ppl), BASH off course:)), expander, disktools, OT,

Basicly i like to see a good prefs screen/section with tabbed view for the
differend parts of the OS core all in one. but that is a personal preference
though it might be handy, if you open settings you can get all of them in one
tool(i.e. boneyard tabbed view only more extended with email(d), http(d),
ftp(d) prefs et all) You can always make more links in the prefs panel like
email is now but opens the networking/communication panel on the email tab.
one tool for Networking, one for the visual part of the OS, one for the media
part(like it is now).
This also counts for the OS core update off course prefarrably like David
said one tool but with tabbed view  for OS update, app update language
update. Again all these things can be directed through a good setup tool that
can be started at any time and any point for when the actual user needs a
change in the system.

A calculator, nope not in my idea, as a demo app well that's up to the Core
ppl or BU imho.
Demo apps are always a good thought anyway. Just some recommendations for it
would be Xaos, BeConverter, calculator, ogl viewer or other GFX demo(remember
the Amiga demo scene), simple basic audio tool and/or video recorder/tool, a
simple game,

And off course i think that every dealer or business that distributes the OS
with a financial base in mind should offer a donation or a payment for every
release of the distribution they use to install on computers, If money
derives from it for the ones that use the OS for commercial purposes that
same money should go or at least be offered to the obos ppl, which might help
them in turn to obtain sources for drivers, kits et all what's needed to
continou development.
I for one would gladly pay a kind of 'support' fee to the obos ppl as oem
dealer, and i think others(commercial) will agree with me on that at least i
know a few who do. Else the OS might see the same future as all the other
"dead" OSes do now. Only a dedicated geek group of ppl that use it.

Let BU work on the details for the core distribution together with the obos
ppl and they can always decide to distribute a package of tools next to
it.(BUP)

Let the Obos ppl just develop the core OS as good as they can without working
on PR, that's up to BU and others imho. The only PR they then need to do is
with the BU ppl and those others.
I think that the BU ppl have a good concept on that one they worked it out
very nicely let them finish it so the obos ppl only need to worry about what
they do best...CODING.
BU in this case is the extention of the obos where the OS is made.

Next to that i think a guide for how  to make multilangual distributions
should also be started for a possable R2 release.(might be not entirely fits
in this scope but is important)

I know some of the issues mentioned here are not particulairy for this list
but i just wanted to take them into account since they are a integration of
the CoreOS and the topic here. Aside the fact i probably didn't cover
everything i think it sdisplays the basic thought very well.

>[not replying to anyone in particular]

<BIG SNIP>
>Everyone seems to agree that long term success depends on consistency across
>"OBOS environments" but the "components" are still open to discussion.
etc etc

With kind regards,
Ted Leeuwesteijn
BeOS OEM dealer,
Editor BeForever,
BU international board of advisors member.
BeOS deciple since R 3.