[openbeos] Re: Why I am against distributions.

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:18:19 -0400

>On Sunday 23 June 2002 22:21, you wrote:
>> I agree that openbeos should have an ISO available, but disagree about what
>> it needs...
>>
>> I'm not sure we really need to offer everything, just enough to get the
>> user up and running. I mean Free/OpenBSD don't come with all that stuff,
>> just an OS. Depending on how you install you then have to add X and the
>
>Yes thats true, but from a user, support perspective, I think that we need to
>include the things like what Be included, and that probably includes a
>browser, dev tools at the most compilcated level - I am not talking IE-style
>browser, I really mean a very simple thing like N+.

But one of the ways that BeOS got lambasted in the press was that Net+ was "not
good enough".
See - my personal take is that the only good distro has tons of software on it.
A complete
solution. So that my Mom can install it and never have to *download* another
piece of software.
Even Lindow's "click and run" is less, I think, that what OBOS users should
have. I would far rather
have everything available on the CD. But I know that we don't have the manpower
(or woman power) to
do that. Nor should we need to. There is a symbiotic advantage in
allowing/requesting BU to do this for us.

>This is what I am pushing for, but what I also want to push for is so that the
>user can download *just* the OBOS distro and use it on its own, it comes with
>everything needed to do everything basic, i.e. StyledEdit for
>wordprocessing/editing, nothing complex like a full word processor.

basic is a very relative term. Is ftp basic? IRC? Playing some games? Should
Windows define what is basic? Also, think about the MacWrite effect - if a tool
of sufficient quality is shipped, by default, almost no one ever competes with
it. For all we complain about MSFT, we are doing the same thing.

>I agree 100% with you, there was somone on the prefs team who looked into
>this, but its sort of been put on the back burner I think.

A lot of talk happened for a while, then it dried up and went away.