[haiku] Who is Haiku for?

  • From: Nicholas Blachford <nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 22:41:42 +0000

Who is Haiku for?

Who will the end users be?

This question came to me out of the GUI discussions, is a very important question because much in the design of the GUI and how it is used is based on the answer to this question. It also determines how many people end up using the system.

There are plenty of OSs out there designed by geeks for geeks. They are often technically brilliant but a pain to use and not a great deal of attention is paid to the user interface.

What an OS offers will be different depending on who it is designed for, geeks like to know whats under the hood and will appreciate good design. Casual users* neither know nor care about whats under the hood, however casual users are the vast majority of computer users.

Some systems can be very elitist and some are downright hostile towards casual users. I never found this was the case with BeOS and I hope this is also true with Haiku.

*By casual users I mean non-computer enthusiasts.

So, who is Haiku for?

1) Casual users
2) Geeks
3) Both