[openbeos] Re: What is clubby

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:55:49 -0400

> Charlie Clark wrote:
>
>Hi everyone,
>
>just quick clarification as I'm the one who introduced the term: by
>"clubby" I really wasn't being prejudicial. It's quite easy to get in the
>club - all you have to do is submit some good, working code. Then not only
>people notice you but you will be able to affect things go, either directly
>through your own work or indirectly through the inevitable discussions
>about "what to do next" with your peers.
>
>Fortunately I can't code so I have to stay out of this club.
>
>But I do have my own ;-)

I won't deny that there is a lot of truth in this. It is pretty much "the way"
that OSS projects work, from my experience. I do want to add a little, though -
it doesn't have to be code. Any contribution can get you noticed. Kurtis and
Jessie are noticed and, in fact, considered very important for their work on
the web site. Kev is certainly noticed from his work on the newsletter. While
code (and thus coders) are certainly the vast majority of the need, it is not
quite true to say that only coders are allowed. There are still other needs out
there. Check out the FAQ about "I can't code. How can I contribute" - there are
many things that could be done that aren't because there aren't people to do
them.