[openbeos] Re: What are the chances of getting some corporate development support

  • From: "Ben Allen" <CommdrSozo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 11:33:00 -0500 CDT

I have been doing some contract work for a local media production
company and one thing I heard them discussing was the idea to try to
build such a device, develop custom software/OS/hardware, and make a
home theater system essentially (with some additional featuers that I
can't mention but take my word are very nice:) ).  I had to suggest
using OpenBeOS instead of writing our own OS (it didn't have a name yet
at this point) and after much discussion and what could possibly be
called "evangelizing":) , we estimated that the current software and
tools available for BeOS would enable us to write the software for such
a project in probably about 4-5 months (after the open-source versions
of all the components we need are finished), assuming we are able to
get the hardware together with no (driver, size, etc..) problems.

So as to your argument of being a long way away from getting people to
use Haiku over Linux in an embedded environment, I can tell you from
experience :) that Haiku has a lot of features that sell itself.  Once
it is 100% free and open, I can see many industries using it or at
least trying it out for many types of embedded projects.  The modular
nature of it appeals to the embedded systems mindset, and it is by far
the easiest platform/API to program on that I have seen anywhere.  BFS,
the concept of replicants, BMessages and the ability to pass them thu a
network using server\client systems like as MUSCLE, the ability to
strip unnecessary things out of the OS cleanly and relatively easily:
All these things sound very nice to embedded software designers, I
can't wait to see what all the world decides to do with Haiku.

-Ben