[openbeos] Re: WebCore/JavaScriptCore

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 22:44:34 +0200

Hi Marcus,

nice to hear from you!

> >> I was just curious about the current state of affairs, since a browser
> >> alternative would be nice, since N+ is a little bit lacking nowadays and
> >> building a browser from ground up no feasable option.
> >
> > Yeah I think most people agree that using WebKit is our best option
> > for the "new NetPositive."
> >
> That's also my feeling. I assume none of the projects to build a new web
> browser for BeOS/Haiku is still active.

I really think you guys should just get started. :-)

From what I can tell, the projects (Nirvana?) are not active. I tried to get
some information late last year, and some people tried to be helpful, but I
couldn't get much done in terms of getting the already ported code from the
Nirvana repo (Java Script) to compile. In any case, I have high hopes for
such a porting effor of WebKit, and I'd like to help as much as I can.
However, I am of no use with regards to gory build system issues. So after
someone could get the infra structure setup, I'd like to help as much as I
can. Though currently, my time is limited to the weekends at most. But like
I said, I'd like to join once an infra structure is already in place. Please
use jam if you can.

Best regards,
-Stephan