[haiku] Wanted: Translators for the User Guide

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Haiku Documenation ML" <haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:01:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone!

As you may have read Vincent Duvert will soon have the backend ready
for translating Haiku's user documentation. Yay!

Therefore, everyone interested in doing translations is welcome to
join the documentation mailing list
(//www.freelists.org/list/haiku-doc) to discuss how we'll proceed
from here. This is cross-posted to the general mailing list, but
please *only* respond on the docs ML.

To start things off, how about everyone interested speak up and let us
know what language you'd like to help with. Also, I think it's useful
to have one go-to-guy for every language that will coordinate things
for "his" language and also has a look over what's written by the
other translators to uphold a certain quality (not only grammar and
spelling, but also to make sure the style and tags are kept intact).
So, when introducing yourself, also state if you'd be OK with being
that "language-manager".

To ensure that there's at least a chance of completing a translation,
I think two guys per language is a minimum.

When that's settled, we should establish a general style guide for
each language. This should be done within each language-group in its
native tongue. Please also use the docs mailing list for that, but
mark your topic with [{German/French/whatever}].
That style guide will be put up on the translation website for every
translator as a reference. It doesn't require much IMO, just e.g. how
the reader will be addressed, how formal or casual. The goal is to
find a style that allows a couple of people to do the translation
without seeing at first glance that different people were working on
it.

Let's start getting organized. :)

Regards,
Humdinger