[openbeos] Waltercon 2006

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:34:52 -0400

Hey all!

Last year's Waltercon was a blast (and the building got blasted!), but I am thinking about changing it up a little.

The first is the date. Traditionally, we hold WalterCon in August. That would make this a pretty late start. But when we were talking about doing it again this year, we wanted to try holding it later in the year. August is a busy time of the year for a lot of people - lots of picnics and family reunions, etc. We were thinking October/November.

The location is something that we have always varied. The first year was scenic Columbus Ohio. The second year, we threw caution to the wind and moved to Vegas. In spite of rampant gambling and possibly even some (legal) womanizing, Vegas twice in a row might be more than Walter can handle. So I was thinking of moving back west, out toward Georgia/New Orleans/Orlando area.

Third is format. The first year, everyone listened to me talk until I was raw. Last year, we went for a more BeGeistert style. I think that I want to try to shoot for something in between. More speakers, more presenters on the first day and more of a "hang out and code" second day.

So, I ask you all:
1) What date could you come? Is the date/time a show stopper?
2) Location preference? Is the location a show stopper?
3) Any speakers you can suggest? Anyone want to volunteer? Thoughts on format?
4) What sort of cost is reasonable? Honestly, I have tried hard to keep the cost to a bare minimum the first few years, but I would like to try to raise it a little this year for a few things - plane fare for devs who couldn't otherwise come, a projector, a better conference room, etc...

Please take this off list and respond to me personally. I am also looking for someone who would like to help with this. I had someone helping me who had to leave for personal reasons.