[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 10:43:03 -0400

On 5/4/07, Bryan Varner <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A lot of the topics wouldn't require someone who is currently a 'core'
developer. I think just about anyone who's written code for BeOS could
teach (with a few weeks of preparation for themselves) a roomful of
people how to write Replicants, implement effective Node Monitoring,
utilize File-System Attributes, write a simple driver, port a few *nix
apps, etc. It's not like this stuff is -difficult-. You just need to
know what to do, and why you're doing it.

I agree completely. Even topics very specific to Haiku development
could be prepared for in a few weeks. For example I'm (slowly) working
on a web-site article about the Haiku GUI layout management system.
That same topic could be easily expanded into a presentation at
Waltercon with a little more work. I wrote articles on Jam back when
the project was called OpenBeOS, so could probably teach a decent
session on Jam and the Haiku build system, even though Ingo is the
"official" expert on that area.

Also in my various bug fixes I've touched the app_server,
input_server, ShowImage (a lot), a few preference apps and could
probably present something on those topics. Of course I may be unique
in that respect as far as American Haiku developers go.

Even if we only had two or three people that could teach, they could
each cover multiple topics in different sessions that run fairly long.
Longer sessions would probably encourage more in-depth practical
application of the topic. This is not a bad thing. If there were only
four or five sessions over the course of two days, taught by two or
three people, then I think WC07 would have some -serious- value for
developers that want to -learn-. I'd pay money to attend, and I'd offer
to teach something if I could make it.

I would also be willing to teach some sessions, given that we had a
good showing of conference attendees. There is just something sort of
sad about making a presentation to a room with only 5 or 6 people.
It's much more exciting and invigorating with a decent crowd.

Ryan