[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 9:42:59 +0000

> From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2007/05/03 Thu PM 07:39:38 GMT
> To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07
>

> Anyhow while certain kinds of presentations could help jump start some
> developers, I think just attending can start a certain "buzz" inside
> of someone to inspire them to work on the project. That is what
> happened with me. Of course I had developed for Haiku previously and
> was really just brought back from a hiatus, so I don't know if the
> same would happen with people completely new to the project. Also I
> would not have attended if it was not within driving distance.

Good point. For regular lurker-type people it could be the kick-start they
need. I'm sure new people would also get more from attending the event than
watching stuff online too - my only issue is that I don't think they're likely
to attend in the first place.

> [web content needs improving]

I'll start a new thread for that.

> In regards to Jorge's emails, I can see the point you are trying to
> make. Let me try to summarize some points that I got out of it:
> - The project is at a point where WalterCon needs to become a more
> serious event and not just an informal gathering of Haiku/BeOS geeks.
> - There should be plenty of time for planning the event.
> - There should be much more marketing of the event than just emails on
> a mailing list.
> - There should be a more structured schedule for the event, with one
> or more well-defined tracks of talks, a keynote or two, etc.
>
> I personally don't disagree with these points, but I do think Simon
> has a point that even with such efforts we may not attract many people
> outside the current BeOS/Haiku community at this stage of the project.

Thanks for the nice summary. I don't disagree with Jorge's points either, my
only disagreement is how useful WC is as a tool for attracting new people. I've
just come to realise (thanks to you and others) that it could be useful as a
tool for attracting regulars and giving them the "buzz" they need to start
contributing.

> [piggybacking on another conference]

That's a good idea and might reduce the barrier enough to get a few more newer
community members interested. In response to Jorge it would not necessarily
have to be the same conference every year so would be free to move around. Also
it won't be too many years until we can present Haiku as a valid business
proposition and have people sent to our conference by their companies :)

> Regards,
> Ryan

Simon