[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 18:41:34 -0700

Hi Simon,

Simon Taylor wrote:
I'll reply properly in the morning. Need to deal with some annoyances now
though.

From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Here are some potential audience groups, what content they
might like, what problems there are with that at the
moment and how we might cater to their needs in the future.

Users: Might like to see introductory how-to-use Haiku presentations and 3rd
party apps in the pipeline. Problems: Haiku is pre-alpha, so how-tos might not
represent how things will work in the final release, and users will not be able
to go and try out the techniques immediately. There are no really exciting and
cool apps in development at the moment. In the future: would be well suited to
a MacWorld style expo event.
WC does not target (end) users ATM.

In my last email you accused me of looking at this too personally. Here I made
a concerted effort to think of all the possible audience groups who might be
interested, analyse what they would want from a conference type of event, give
the problems with that ATM, and suggest how to cater for them in future. I
thought that was obvious, frankly. Nowhere do I say WC should be aimed at any
of these groups. My entire point was that it is not well suited to any of them.

Please, don't take an observation as a personal accusation. I don't accuse you or anyone else of anything. It's that you just seem to insist on taking this whole discussion into different grounds than what was originally intended. Read the subject: this is about WalterCon 2007, not the potential future of WC one or two years from now.

3rd Party Application Developers: Would like to know about the process of
programming on Haiku, and the API. Problems: Haiku is not stable enough to host
development so people would be directed to BeOS. Might feel cheated to find a
programming for Haiku conference is actually a
programming-for-dead-commercial-OS conference. In the future: Would be perfect
targets for a conference or development seminar event.
Sorry to repeat myself like a broken record (yeah, I am old generation), but who is talking about 3rd party app devs? You are the one who bring up 3rd party devs. What you are doing is like creating a problem so that you can give a solution.

No, I'm seeing future opportunity for a successful conference. If there is a
rule somewhere that I am not allowed to discuss anything unless you have
mentioned it before, I must have missed it.

Of course there is no such rule. But it would be nice if we could focus the specific topic at hand: WC07. If you want to make a thorough analysis of the future opportunities for a conference, that's fine, but maybe you need to do it in a separate thread.

Again, I don't why you waste your time writing about business people, as they were nowhere in any of my previous messages.

Obviously discussing anything you haven't mentioned is a waste of time. As is
disagreeing, apparently.

Ehem... It is not a matter of disagreement. I made that comment because you are quoting me and responding to my statements with unrelated stuff. But if you want to take everything I say the wrong way, I can't help it. :)

[who will probably have calmed down by the morning]

ps: Thanks for those other replies - it seems I missed a category of people -
the long-term interested people who haven't quite got around to developing for
Haiku yet. I can actually see these forking out for a conference and getting
real value out of workshop-style activities aimed squarely at introducing them
to Haiku development.

Simon, my friend, chill out.

Peace,

Koki