[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 23:38:07 +0000

I'll reply properly in the morning. Need to deal with some annoyances now
though.

> From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> Here are some potential audience groups, what content they
>> might like, what problems there are with that at the
>> moment and how we might cater to their needs in the future.
> >
> > Users: Might like to see introductory how-to-use Haiku presentations and
> > 3rd party apps in the pipeline. Problems: Haiku is pre-alpha, so how-tos
> > might not represent how things will work in the final release, and users
> > will not be able to go and try out the techniques immediately. There are no
> > really exciting and cool apps in development at the moment. In the future:
> > would be well suited to a MacWorld style expo event.
> >

> WC does not target (end) users ATM.

In my last email you accused me of looking at this too personally. Here I made
a concerted effort to think of all the possible audience groups who might be
interested, analyse what they would want from a conference type of event, give
the problems with that ATM, and suggest how to cater for them in future. I
thought that was obvious, frankly. Nowhere do I say WC should be aimed at any
of these groups. My entire point was that it is not well suited to any of them.

> > 3rd Party Application Developers: Would like to know about the process of
> > programming on Haiku, and the API. Problems: Haiku is not stable enough to
> > host development so people would be directed to BeOS. Might feel cheated to
> > find a programming for Haiku conference is actually a
> > programming-for-dead-commercial-OS conference. In the future: Would be
> > perfect targets for a conference or development seminar event.
> >

> Sorry to repeat myself like a broken record (yeah, I am old generation),
> but who is talking about 3rd party app devs? You are the one who bring
> up 3rd party devs. What you are doing is like creating a problem so that
> you can give a solution.

No, I'm seeing future opportunity for a successful conference. If there is a
rule somewhere that I am not allowed to discuss anything unless you have
mentioned it before, I must have missed it.

> Again, I don't why you waste your time writing about business people, as
> they were nowhere in any of my previous messages.

Obviously discussing anything you haven't mentioned is a waste of time. As is
disagreeing, apparently.

Simon
[who will probably have calmed down by the morning]

ps: Thanks for those other replies - it seems I missed a category of people -
the long-term interested people who haven't quite got around to developing for
Haiku yet. I can actually see these forking out for a conference and getting
real value out of workshop-style activities aimed squarely at introducing them
to Haiku development.