[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:19:09 -0700

Hi Ithamar,

Let me make a couple of general observations.

Ithamar R. Adema wrote:
It seems we have quite a lively discussion going on here now ;)

My suggestion would be to start collecting both requests for
presentation subjects, and see if we can find people who are willing to
create the presentation _before_ WC/BG or any mix of those two. This
should get us a good overview of what kind of material is actually
wanted.

When having content, we could setup tracks of presentations and actually
see how much time we can fill with these well-prepared presentations as
opposed to the more informal presentations made up on the spot.

I'm still of the mindset that having this first 'organized' WC would be
best off as a part of BG, at least here in Europe. I'm sure Charlie and
the other organizers would be thrilled to finally have a lot of good
material being presented @ BG, even if it turns out to be mostly Haiku
specific....

BG was and is as informal as the people themselves make it, it just
seemed that most people visiting liked it that way. Or to be even more
clear: I've learned more about driver development on BeOS by drinking
beer (or cola) with Thomas K., Marcus O., or Axel, then from most books
and presentations.... ;)

Before you can make a call for papers (so to call it) as you suggest, you need to tell the potential speakers where they would have to go in case their paper is chosen. There is no point in proposing a paper unless you can be sure that you are able to attend.

Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, when organizing an event, you first think about what general goals you want to achieve with it, and then figure out what you need to do to pursue those goals. IOW, your goals for the event should determine it's content and tone, and not the other way around. This is critical to build perceived value beforehand, something that is in turn critical to attract potential attendees beyond the circle of regulars. So instead of taking a let's see what we can get approach, I think Haiku needs to set at least a general direction for WC first.

With regards to whether WC needs to be informal or not, I think there is a distinction to make. A casual atmosphere is not only welcome but certainly preferred. However, informality in the form of lack of organization is harmful to the success of the event.

Finally, if held in Europe, WalterCon could be a great opportunity for a few of the GSoC students that reside in Europe to meet with the Haiku devs. I think there are three of them (but I am not sure).

Cheers,

Koki