[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:51:51 +0200

Am 29.04.2007 um 11:12 schrieb Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki):

I agree with Ithamar that content is of the highest priority; and given the high concentration of Haiku developers in Europe, it is pretty easy to tell on which side of the pond you are more likely to get more and better technical content for the conference. Granted, you don't have to be a core Haiku dev regularly contributing code to give a technical presentation; but having presentations by the core devs *with name recognition* is what will give the highest value to the event (or the highest ROI, as they say in business).

This sounds good but what about the reality: the handful of real Haiku developers don't need to give each other presentations. I know, I've hassled them often enough about it.

Furthermore, if Haiku wants to cater to a broader audience beyond the small BeOS circle, then the BG model is not adequate. Given the visibility gained by Haiku through the recent marcom push, scaling down WC to become a subset of BG would be a big wasted opportunity. Also, and perhaps even more importantly, holding WC as an independent event is crucial from the perspective of building and reinforcing Haiku's own brand identity. Nothing against BG or its organizers: but if you think what's in the best interest of advancing Haiku, then WalterCon should be done separately with its own agenda.

If the agenda is about building brand identity then you're right the two "brands" will compete for attention. But what's in a name? I really must take exception at "subset of BG" as this shows a distinct lack of appreciation of what BeGeistert is.

Yes, we don't make a lot of noise about BeGeistert and yes I (I really am to blame) don't write a lot of reports about what went on but that is because the most important thing is actually being there and not having an overinflated idea of our own importance.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20