[openbeos] Re: WalterCon 2008: Change of Plans

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:11:31 -0700

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> WC could come back to life as the US-based conference, but only to the
>> extent that the community in this part of the world shows interest in
>> making it happen; if there is indifference, then it will not happen.
>
> I agree with you, Koki. I hope you are not sad about the current lack of
> interest from your side of the pond. Or lets say the current lack of
> motivation and or time to put in the effort. I know you had great hopes and
> plans for reviving WalterCon.

In light of the underwhelming response to topic of this message (lots
of Haiku Inc. related off topic whinning, but little to nothing
WC-related that could be meaningful or useful), and since my "behind
the scenes" attempts in the last few weeks to try to somehow keep
WalterCon alive had found no meaningful resonance, there is no point
in pursuing this any further, at least not at this point in time.

As a result, the plans that we had for holding WalterCon 2008 in
Columbus in October are canceled (the contract with the hotel is
already canceled).

I recently contacted the BeGeistert folks to discuss what I was hoping
it could be a smooth WC to BG transition that would allow for a future
revival of WalterCon. In the course of those discussions it has become
clear to me that my views about WalterCon in the bigger picture do not
represent any longer (maybe they never did) that of the project
leadership or the community at large. As a result, I find my
involvement in this discussions to be pointless and not useful at all,
so I am stepping aside.

This means that the future of WalterCon, as the official Haiku event
or otherwise, is now totally up to what the project leadership and the
community want to do with it. Whatever the project leadership and the
community wants, it is fine with me.

Jorge