[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:42:24 +0100 BST

> From: "Simon Taylor"
>
> I FULLY agree with you! It's just it will take some time until we
> have a new
> drawing API(bitmaps/gradients/alpha/geometric transformations). And
> it can't
> be done right/best because we'd loose binary compatibility! We said
> it
> before, a major API redesign and some app_server work, must be done;
> and to
> have "a patch" for the UI is not quite that good.

I don't see why a new API is necessary. The R5 UI includes some
gradients (look at buttons on tabs), but there isn't a public gradient
drawing API. R5 already has B_OP_ALPHA. Everything (in terms of
controls) that is in Stuart's mockups is possible with the current
drawing API.

Stuart is going to send me some high quality PNGs of some of his
controls next week, so that I can have a go at copying them using the
R5 API.

> If it's important, IT CAN be done! Without breaking BC, and still be
> easy to
> include in R2.

That's the issue though - I believe it's important for R1.

R2 can add cool new stuff to the design (eg add the shadows around the
windows), but R1 should set the first point on the "OBOS Look Cycle".
It should be instantly identifiable as OBOS.

> Adi.

Simon