[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:20:35 +0200 CEST

"Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> > Well, we as a team don't consider this - we won't spend time
> > creating
> > new look now. But we will certainly not stop you from developing
> > your
> > own "new look" - everybody can do this: on his own. There is only a
> > very slight chance that any of those efforts will make it into our
> > tree, and maybe only available via #ifdef anyway.
> How bad would you feel if I did do it separately though?

I wouldn't mind.

> You release R1 quietly, not expecting anyone will really want to use
> it
> apart from those few already using R5. I believe that the appeal is
> wider, so take all of your code, add a couple of hundered lines to
> change the look, and keep the code private. I push it a bit, send a
> few
> copies to a few magazines, get a few screenshots up on computer
> websites, and sell a few thousand copies at £20 a time. Nice little
> earner for me (for next to no work), OBOS gets no mention anywhere,
> no
> increased interest, no more developers.

Don't be stupid. We won't release R1 quietly - it will have a good
momentum when it's out; you will find reviews in magazines etc.
Sure, you can give it a new look and sell it, but there is no way to
hide where this is all coming from. You won't sell those copies to
beginners, but to people who know about its inheritage.

> That is not something that I would do, but that is not to say that
> nobody would. All I want is for people to be able to see R1 for what
> it
> truly is, for more people to download it (geeks, devs, and users),
> for
> more hype to surround the project ready for the release to conquer
> the
> world, and for more people to help develop said world-conquering
> release. There is nothing wrong with "selling" R1 as > R5 - my
> parents
> would still have no interest in it at all - you wouldn't be swamped
> with clueless users. What would happen is geeks, current- and ex-Be
> users would be much more interested in R1, and then they could help
> spread the word to others, ready for R2.

Yes. So what? I don't get your point.
BTW our license allows you to sell R1, so go ahead :)

Bye,
   Axel.