[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:16:41 +0200 CEST

"Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Yes, and that's why OpenBeOS R1 won't 100% R5 - but it'll stay
> > pretty
> > close to it, it only augments certain areas where we couldn't
> > resist
> > (shame on us developers who are doing all this for the fun of it
> > :).
> There are certain areas where little tidbits have been added (TIFF
> Translator)
> But there are also more major changes (Networking being the main one)

That's not a good example; it's a binary compatible solution that
creates a much more usable networking environment (note, the
implementation *is* different from R5 everywhere as we are producing
all of the code of our own, the API is the important part). But since
this decision came before anything was started, there is no duplication
of effort.

> However, you really are heading for something far beyond R5. Because
> you have a whole raft of great new features planned for future
> releases, there is a tendancy to assume that the improvements to R1
> are
> just minor - but they are not at all.
> What OBOS R1 will have over and above Zeta: newer kernel, 1 Gig bug
> fixed, mmap(), Select(), better POSIX support, nicer font rendering,
> etc, and of course the big one - it will be *open source and
> completely
> free*.

Zeta has select(), too (and also better POSIX support than R5 - just
like Dano).

> > Yes, and we've stated several times that R5 is our target - so
> > that's
> > what people are expecting from us anyway :-)
> But that's not what they are going to get - they are going to get
> more.
> Why not tell them that? How many people have lost interest because
> "it's not out yet, and even then the first release is going to be *
> identical* to R5, I can't be bothered to wait another 10 years until
> there's a release that actually works on my hardware".

Why is that a problem? We won't force people to use what we did :)
When R1 is ready, we will certainly emphasize the differences between
BeOS and OpenBeOS.
I think you're missing one good point: a new look could also have a
negative impact on  those who want to have BeOS back: "now what's this,
is it just another OS?". I think that it is important to look and feel
like (or at least very similar to what) BeOS did. Just better.

Bye,
   Axel.