[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:38:48 +0100 BST

[...]
> Well, we as a team don't consider this - we won't spend time creating
> new look now. But we will certainly not stop you from developing your
> own "new look" - everybody can do this: on his own. There is only a
> very slight chance that any of those efforts will make it into our
> tree, and maybe only available via #ifdef anyway.

How bad would you feel if I did do it separately though?

You release R1 quietly, not expecting anyone will really want to use it
apart from those few already using R5. I believe that the appeal is
wider, so take all of your code, add a couple of hundered lines to
change the look, and keep the code private. I push it a bit, send a few
copies to a few magazines, get a few screenshots up on computer
websites, and sell a few thousand copies at £20 a time. Nice little
earner for me (for next to no work), OBOS gets no mention anywhere, no
increased interest, no more developers.

That is not something that I would do, but that is not to say that
nobody would. All I want is for people to be able to see R1 for what it
truly is, for more people to download it (geeks, devs, and users), for
more hype to surround the project ready for the release to conquer the
world, and for more people to help develop said world-conquering
release. There is nothing wrong with "selling" R1 as > R5 - my parents
would still have no interest in it at all - you wouldn't be swamped
with clueless users. What would happen is geeks, current- and ex-Be
users would be much more interested in R1, and then they could help to
spread the word to others, ready for R2.

Simon