[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:00:34 +0200 CEST

"Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Uhm, can you show some examples?
> Recently there were 2 new implementations of BBlockCache written, to

Yes, the original implementation was not R5 compliant (IIRC) and was
considerably slower than the original. Sure, we can't accept anything
in our repository that's worse than R5 in any point :-)

> replace the one that existed in the tree. Also, private APIs have
> gone
> through several iterations to get to where they are now (think
> app_server).

Developing APIs is an incremental process. There is no way to change
this. Even planning only helps :)

> I may be wrong about this, and by all means correct me if I am. My
> point was that changing the look the way I have talked about is *not*
> complete rewrite - not by a long way. In fact, none of the existing
> code would be removed - it would just be an addition. In other parts
> of
> the project, as soon as an R5-compatible implementation is complete,
> that doesn't mean it is locked off and nobody is allowed to add any
> enhancements. I would just like the same opportunity with the widget
> code.

Well, we as a team don't consider this - we won't spend time creating a
new look now. But we will certainly not stop you from developing your
own "new look" - everybody can do this: on his own. There is only a
very slight chance that any of those efforts will make it into our
tree, and maybe only available via #ifdef anyway.

Bye,
   Axel.