[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:55:02 +0200 CEST

"Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have also seen, through looking at the CVS changes, *complete*
> rewrites of certain parts of code, to have a better implementation.

Sure, we're not perfect either, as hard as we may try ;-)

> This proposal wouldn't even be as major as that, but would just be an
> addition to the existing code. There are also exapmles of where this
> has happened in OBOS (an R5 compatibile implemetation done, then
> extra
> features added). For those who are going to ask for an example, multi
> -
> page support of the TIFF translator is one that I can remember.

Yes, and that's why OpenBeOS R1 won't 100% R5 - but it'll stay pretty
close to it, it only augments certain areas where we couldn't resist
(shame on us developers who are doing all this for the fun of it :).
We're not saying that R1==R5 to prevent those things from happening,
but R1==R5 is what we're aiming at. That reduces discussions like these
to a minimum and makes the whole development process straight-forward.

> I'll show you the code when I've written it.

Please, there are lots of other opportunities in our kits :-)
Of course, we won't stop you. But neither can we promise to include
your work in which case you would have wasted a lot of time.
And still, don't forget the new font renderer - it will give R5 a whole
new look for free.

> There is a learning curve - but the release of R1 of OBOS is many
> times
> more important (to the project's future) than the first release of
> BeOS
> was. OBOS is the flagship project for the recreation of BeOS - that
> is
> largely through your choice - the very professional website, the
> regular status updates, the newsletters, the open code repositry, the
> mentions in the press or on internet radio. Without OBOS, I'm sure
> the
> BeOS community today would be much smaller. However, that means the
> release of R1 is a VERY important milestone.

Yes, and we've stated several times that R5 is our target - so that's
what people are expecting from us anyway :-)

> > >To the devs: I LOVE you people! :D
> > Me too!
> Me three!

Oh guys... :-)