[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:09:26 +0100 BST

> >> Uhm, can you show some examples?
> >
> >Recently there were 2 new implementations of BBlockCache written, to
> > replace
> >the one that existed in the tree. Also, private APIs have gone
>
> The one which existed in the tree was simply not working correctly.
> Since there was no tests written for it, we couldn't say if it was
> correct or not. After Jeremy Rand tested it accurately, a correct
> implementation was committed.

Fair enough. Jeremy wrote an implentation himself that worked, and
Marcus wrote another IIRC.

Still, that has *almost nothing* to do with the issue of an Visual
Design. Taking a tiny bit of the argument completely out of context is
not very productive. My point, which is still valid, is that the change
I propose would need a few code additions and no code would need to be
taken away - and it is not unheard of in the OBOS project for much
larger swathes of code to be completely removed and rewritten for R1.

> >through several iterations to get to where they are now (think
> >app_server).
> >

> Can't speak here, I don't know the matter, I guess DW could reply
> here.

I guess he could. I'd be very surprised if that reply would really
alter your opinion on whether it is justified to have a new visual
design for R1 though. To my mind, it would not add much to the debate
for either side, and is pointless being the sole topic of an email.

Simon