[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:03:10 +0100 BST

> "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I do see there is a certain inconsistency though, in that all the
> > teams
> > knocking out "internal" code are happy to take the API and then
> > implement it as they see fit, with whatever improvements they think
> > work in that framework - whereas the UI "implementation" is pretty
> > much
> > pixel-for-pixel identical to R5. Changes in implementation go from
> > the
> > simple "I've added flag y to our function x to be more POSIX
> > compatible", to "We're putting all the networking in the kernel" -
> > these type of changes are almost always welcomed. Yet if someone
> > came
> > along tomorrow and said "I've made all the widgets look more
> > modern,
> > and the OS as a whole much more appealing to a wider audience", I
> > think
> > they would face a lot of resistance getting the code accepted. Am I
> > the
> > only one who sees this as an inconsistency?
>
> There is no inconsistency - if we had decided to implement a new
> widget
> code, we would have done it. On our long path to create OpenBeOS, we
> try hard not to pick up the same thing again, but do it right on
> first
> try - because that saves time, and we want to get it done some day.
> If
> it wouldn't already be implemented, we could still discuss this thing
> -
>  and have, in fact, a real discussion. From my perspective, you
> should
> have shouted earlier, even if I would have liked to see an updated UI
> as well.

Yes, mentioning it earlier might have been better. But if there was
going to be a "choice" implemented, all the current code would still
have been needed.

Talking of saving time, I wouldn't be surpirsed if all of these emails
have taken about 30 hours - with a specific design, I probably could
have coded it in that time. Don't take that the wrong way - I'm
reassured in many ways by the opposition I have faced - it at least
shows people aren't going to be able to sneak pointless features in
just because they think they're cool - that makes me much more
confident that OBOS R3 etc won't turn into another linux.

> Anyway, and no offense, but your opinion would weigh in a lot more,
> if
> you had actually written half of the app_server or something :-)

lol I understand that. No offense taken.

Actually I'd like to thank all the devs for at least allowing me to
argue my case, and listening to the arguments - something that is a
great credit to the project and the community - and certainly wouldn't
have happened in linux-land ;-)

> Bye,
>    Axel.

Simon