[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:16:00 +0100 BST

> [Oops, I apparently failed to send this mail yesterday.]
>
> Although, I decided not to fuel this thread further by throwing my
> opinion
> at the list, here a misperception has to be pointed out.

And although I said I wouldn't post again.

> > > Are you saying that a different UI would please everyone?
> >
> > No. That is why I would like to see all the existing code kept, and
> > an
> > option to switch to an R5 look if so desired.
>
> The look of R5 controls is hard-coded. Providing the possibility to
> switch
> between different looks would require massive changes, namely a
> framework
> to support this (i.e. a skinning framework). Since it was agreed,
> that no
> major feature should be added to R1, this is just not going to
> happen.

I was thinking similar to windows XP - not a whole skinning API (there
is a whole different discussion on whether we actually want that, but
that is definately one for GE ;-)). Namely, the ability to switch
between "old" and "new", both hardcoded.

My initial thought was to do this by an environment variable, possibly
in home/config/boot/UserSetupEnvironment - Be did something similar to
change to R4 audio subsystem.

> Note, that I'm not saying, that, if someone popped up with the
> complete set
> of widgets changed to another look, there wouldn't be the chance,
> that
> these were chosen over the R5-style ones. Nor do I say, that there
> would be
> a certain chance. I'm simply saying nothing here. So, this is a
> completely
> pointless paragraph, apparently. ;-)

lol

> CU, Ingo

Seriously, my last post on the topic ;-)

Simon