[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:07:47 +0200

[Oops, I apparently failed to send this mail yesterday.]

Although, I decided not to fuel this thread further by throwing my opinion
at the list, here a misperception has to be pointed out.

On 2003-09-25 at 17:24:15 [+0200], Simon Taylor wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 17:19, Simon Taylor wrote:
> > > My point is that appearing to be a complete "clone" of R5 will not
> > > please everyone. Moreover, that does not even accurately reflect
> > > what
> > > R1 will be.
> >
> > Are you saying that a different UI would please everyone?
>
> No. That is why I would like to see all the existing code kept, and an
> option to switch to an R5 look if so desired.

The look of R5 controls is hard-coded. Providing the possibility to switch
between different looks would require massive changes, namely a framework
to support this (i.e. a skinning framework). Since it was agreed, that no
major feature should be added to R1, this is just not going to happen.

Note, that I'm not saying, that, if someone popped up with the complete set
of widgets changed to another look, there wouldn't be the chance, that
these were chosen over the R5-style ones. Nor do I say, that there would be
a certain chance. I'm simply saying nothing here. So, this is a completely
pointless paragraph, apparently. ;-)

CU, Ingo