[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:37:53 +0100 BST

[snip]

> > I also don't want to see a new look at the expense of other
> > improvements. I just want a look that mirrors the improvements.
>
> Yes, but with the limited resources the project has it is, IMHO,
> better
> to focus on making it work better rather than look better.
> The thing about volunteer OSS projects is that there are no VC"s to
> please and it's ok if it takes a couple of releases to get things
> right.
> Linux, for example, didnt get where it is today overnight.

Yes the focus should be working better and getting it out of the door.
Should that be the first milestone relase of the project that the world
sees? Or a 0.something release targetted only at the faithful?

The very fact that the project even exists got a mention in the
computer press. The first milestone release is going to generate
interest, maybe even reviews. It may be the first time a lot of people
have heard of OBOS at all - that first "R1" release is critical.

> > You will have a much easier time convincing users big improvements
> > have
> > been made to R5, if the screenshot doesn't look exactly the same.
>
> I dont agree but we've covered that already.

I disagree with my argument there too.

What I meant is that if a user sees a shot of R5, they will be less
inclined to assume that there have been numerous improvements under the
surface and that it is in fact 100% new code. A shot that looks new
will generate more interest and users.

[snip]

> > I quite like the R5 look too. But whenever I see it, it will scream
> > "Be
> > Inc" at me, and not "Walter". People won't walk past and say "That
> > looks cool, never seen that before, where can I get it".
>
> I'm not so sure that people who has never seen BeOS before wouldnt
> find
> it cool looking.

I won't deny that.

Simon