[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-misc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:40:54 +0800

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 23:24, Simon Taylor wrote:

> I think you misunderstand what I mean.

Nah, I pretty much understood what you really ment.

> I also don't want to see a new look at the expense of other
> improvements. I just want a look that mirrors the improvements.

Yes, but with the limited resources the project has it is, IMHO, better
to focus on making it work better rather than look better.
The thing about volunteer OSS projects is that there are no VC"s to
please and it's ok if it takes a couple of releases to get things right.
Linux, for example, didnt get where it is today overnight.

> You will have a much easier time convincing users big improvements have
> been made to R5, if the screenshot doesn't look exactly the same.

I dont agree but we've covered that already.

> > If it was the best choice for a given task I sure would.
>
> If the task was being a desktop OS?

Probably not.

> I quite like the R5 look too. But whenever I see it, it will scream "Be
> Inc" at me, and not "Walter". People won't walk past and say "That
> looks cool, never seen that before, where can I get it".

I'm not so sure that people who has never seen BeOS before wouldnt find
it cool looking.

--
Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-misc@xxxxxxxxxxx>