[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: "Adi Oanca" <e2joseph@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:06:00 +0300

From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I don't see why a new API is necessary.

    Because it should include all the nice feature we want, in the right
way; BView's should support gradients in their drawing methods for example.
    BUT, that's for R2.

    We CAN do a separate API for what we need! And for R2 design the right
one!
    I too agree with this because, looks MATTERS!

> The R5 UI includes some
> gradients (look at buttons on tabs), but there isn't a public gradient
> drawing API. R5 already has B_OP_ALPHA. Everything (in terms of
> controls) that is in Stuart's mockups is possible with the current
> drawing API.

    Ah, well... I thought we can escape bitmap problems for R1. (BeOS R5
doesn't support quite well (off-screen) bitmaps). You probably know there
was a serious talk about that on the IK Team mail list.

    IF Michael and Erik give us a GO!, then we'll talk and design a new
Bitmap API too.

    Also DW said he'll implement a new Decorator API, but that's not such a
big problem.

> Stuart is going to send me some high quality PNGs of some of his
> controls next week, so that I can have a go at copying them using the
> R5 API.

    If you don't show them to us, I'll ... kill you! Seriously! :-) I'll
talk with my Russian/Ukrainian neighbors, and tell send a nuke! Really!
:-)))

From: "Nikola Pizurica" <pizurica@xxxxxxxxxx>
> That's 100% true for me. Seeing BeOS R3 screenshots made me buy BeOS. I
> was sold as soon as i saw nice, clean interface, with beautifull icons.
> Speed, ease of use and everything fabulos about using BeOS came later,
> when I received box from Be Inc.

    People tend to judge by the looks.
    I too am one of them!

From: "Helmar Rudolph" <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
> gein wrote:
>
> > I think you're both missing a point here. Those users who
> > look at screenshots and may decide upon that fit in a
> > group called "early adopters" (check Marketing 101), and
> > believe me, this are the kind of users you need before
> > the others may try it.
> >
> > I'm not saying  that it should be the main focus, not by
> > a long shot, but to dismiss them, like you don't need
> > them or want them, we'll prove to be a huge mistake.
>
> Excellent post and point! Not only ar the "early adopters"
> critical in terms of getting feedback and building
> communities, they are usually also the ones who spread the
> word about the product and who continuously help others with
> their PC problems. They are the marketing folks you need to
> get the word around if you don't have a fat budget.

    Lars is too... n-m to see that! :-)))

        1000 APOLIGIES, Lars. Couldn't help myself. :-)))

Adi.