[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:35:21 +0100 BST

> On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 16:29, Simon Taylor wrote:
> > I'm the same. If the app is 10kb and the screenshot is 100K, I'd
> > still
> > look at the screenshot first (I'm on dialup, btw). Lars has an
> > interesting point - maybe that makes me a geek? What I would say is
> > the
> > kind of people who are going to the trouble of finding out about an
> > alternative OS and considering downloading it, geek or not, are the
> > kind of people who will be influenced by screenshots IMHO.
>
> Good point.
> It can, however, also be argued that people who goes thru all the
> trouble of finding an alternative OS would download it regardless of
> the
> screenshot?
> This is not to say that the look is unimportant but unless your OS
> looks
> like absolute crap, and the R5 style might be aging but it's not
> crap,
> people will probably check it out anyway.

Yes, that is true.

Those who abandonned R5 for whatever reason may not though. And people
who know of R5 should be able to see from the screenshot that it is a
"step forward" from R5. That includes current users, ex-users, and
people who jsut read a review of R5 once upon a time.

In terms of how the look influences downloads, I would say there are 3
categories of "look":

"Really crap" ----->  "OK" -----> "Awesome"

We all agree the R5 look wouldn't fall into the first category. Maybe
TriangleOS would. This is where a user is interested, has a look at the
screenshot, and then decides against downloading it.

I would place the R5 look in the "OK" category. That means people who
have researched the OS, thought it sounded cool, and looked at the
screenshot wouldn't be put off by it. Unless they have a negative image
of R5 for whatever reason, of course.

The third category is one where a screenshot alone provides the
incentive to download. After a link to Stuart's mockups was posted on
OS News, someone replied:
-----------------
I agree fully. Those screenshots of OBOS have really gotten me excited.
I want to try it out so bad. That's what an OS should do for
people...excite them. This is the most exciting GUI for an OS I have
seen since the first screenshots of OS X and now being a fulltime OS X
user for 3 years I wish it looked like the OBOS.
I know openbeos.org but are there any other sources of info? Is it
downloadable?

An "awesome" look for some could be the final factor that turns them
from an interested watcher to an active user - the final criteria that
makes them click the big "Download OBOS R1" button.

> Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-misc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Simon