[openbeos] Re: Visual design stuff again

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:44:11 +0200

This is a distribution rather than a development issue. As has been pointed
out: "Walter" will be using a different font-engine library so it will look
different. It's quite likely that all the supplied apps have different
symbols as well to avoid additional copyright issues. Furthermore the
deskbar will have a nice little "Walter" or possibly other symbol instead
of "BeOS" so it won't be that easy to mistake it for BeOS R5.

Everything else is essentially for the creative design team or for those
brave souls prepared to bring out commercial distributions of Walter.

While the discussion on usability is a relatively interesting I personally
find it somewhat of a sidetrack for this list. Isn't the Glass Elevator a
better place for this discussion.

> Something
> that makes ex users say "Hey cool, an improved R5, I'll download it and
> take a look" and not "A clone of R5? No point me downloading that because
> I know it won't boot on my box with 1 Gig of RAM".

If we're only talking about addressing the couple of hundred ex-R5 users...

> If the developers see R1 as a hoop that has to be jumped through before
> they can start work on the cool new features for R2, then by all means
> get it out the door as quickly as possible, but then I don't think it
> should be refered to as a major release.

It's 100% new. Which is why it gets a new name.

> Yes, I think R1 should be sold as "more than R5". We shouldn't try and
> sell it to every user on the planet, I admit it will not be ready for
> them. But to get back some of the departed BeOSers, it is vitally
> important that they see R1 as an improvement to R5.

Key word here is selling. That is what distributors and not developers do.

> I will download R1 and use it no matter what it looks like. But for
> others, the screenshots will be the deciding factor in whether or not
> they download and try it. In a thread on OSNews about Zeta releasing new
> screenshots, somebody posted a link to the OBOS GUI mockups:

Screenshots as deciding factors? mm, I thought low latency, performance and
the like were more important... stops before he goes to far

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark
Chief Chaos Coordinator