[openbeos] Re: Visual Design for R1?

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 10:05:39 +0100 BST

> > >     You're right!
> > Perhaps not as emphatically as some, but I also agree.
>
> Yes, I agree too, it looks slightly old.

> > Personally speaking, a lot of work has gone into them already, and
> > I'd
> > hate to see work on controls which are currently done to suddenly
> > be
> > "not done" because of a graphical redesign. At the same time, it'd
> > be
> > nice to have an updated look.  This is a decision for Erik or
> > Michael
> > officially, but I'd rather wait and see if someone decides to
> > rework
> > the look independently. That "one more thing" syndrome tends to
> > prevent
> > getting stuff out the door.
> Really, you are right! We NEED TO FINISH R1! It's doesn't matter
> if the GUI looks slightly dated.
> It's really the wrong time to try a major redesign of the GUI.
>
> For R2 I would like to see a decorator API, perhaps full skinning
> support, and font sensitvity. But doing some half baked changes
> to the GUI to make it look different really should not be the goal.
>
> Marcus

I think this is the conflict between the user and developer
perspective. For a developer, it doesn't really matter what the OS
looks like. However, it will completely alter a user's view of the OS.

OK, so R1 isn't going to incorporate all the great features we want.
However, it is a vitally important stepping stone. R1 will still be an
OS designed to be used by people - that is one of the things I love
about OBOS - you guys are writing an OS for people to use - not just a
hobby project.

One of the key goals for R1 has to be to gain new users, to excite
people about the possibilities, and to make people sit up and take note
that Linux isn't the only option for an open source operating system.

Post a screenshot that looks like R5 and say "Download OBOS R1" - and
many people won't bother based on that alone. Anything that can
increase interest, users, and developers around the project has got to
be a good thing for OBOS R1, R2, and beyond.

Simon